Tutor of the Month: Nick Payne

Major: Mathematics

What courses do you tutor? MATH-1215, MATH-1241, MATH-1242, MATH-1251, MATH-1252, MATH-1340, MATH-1341, MATH-1342, MATH-1365, MATH-2280, MATH-2321, MATH-2341, POLS-2400, MATH-3150

How long have you been tutoring? Since Summer 2018

What is your CLRA Level? CRLA Level 1 Certified Peer Tutor

How have you represented PTP?

To students who have never seen the material before, introductory math courses move very quickly.  For all of my sessions, I make sure that students fully understand the fundamentals, before moving on.  I do this by bringing into each session a variety of visualizations and examples, to help break down complicated ideas and concepts.

How has PTP impacted you?

Tutoring the same courses for over three years have given me an incredibly strong mathematical foundation, as I have been able to internalize a number of different ways of explaining and understanding the same material.  Additionally, it has, at times, highlighted my own weaknesses, and I have been able to improve as a result.

Student Testimonial:

“Nick is a great tutor and really helps me understand the concepts! He walks things through slowly and can explain things multiple ways if one way doesn’t click for me. I really appreciate his help!”