Preparing to Become a Northeastern Peer Tutor on Knack as an International Student
Northeastern Peer Tutoring is committed to sponsoring qualified undergraduate international students to become peer tutors on the Knack platform. Northeastern peer tutors on the Knack platform are hired as 1099 contractors. As a result, Knack cannot directly verify the work authorization of non-U.S. citizen students, or whether they are working within the guidelines of their authorization. However, in consultation with the Office of Global Services (OGS), Knack in partnership with Northeastern Peer Tutoring has been approved as an acceptable on-campus employer.
During the onboarding process with Knack, all tutor applicants will be asked if they are non-U.S. citizens, who require work authorization during the onboarding process. If a potential tutor responds affirmatively to any of the above, Knack will inform the student of the following:
- The applicant will need to contact the Northeastern Office of Global Services (OGS) to confirm work authorization and any restrictions.
Please review: OGS F-1 On-Campus Employment Page
- They will need to understand they will be classified as a 1099 contractor for filing taxes.
Please review: What is a 1099 Contractor?
- They will need to have (or begin the application process for obtaining) a Social Security Number (SSN) or TIN, which can take several weeks to be approved.
Once a tutor applicant is made aware of the implications of tutoring as a non-U.S. citizen, they may continue to sign up to tutor on Knack without signing any employment agreement/offer letter, and without having to show any work authorization documents.
To register as a tutor, students will need to enter a valid U.S. address. Please review: Knack’s guidelines for non-U.S. tutors.
- Once you have been cleared by Knack to become a Northeastern Peer Tutor, email email@example.com to be added to our CRLA Level 1 Tutor Training and Certification Canvas Course (this is a FREE no credit bearing hybrid course)
- Once added to the CRLA Level 1 Tutor Training and Certification Canvas Course, ALL international students must:
Read the document: NU International Students Working on the Knack Platform AND
Agree to and sign the International Student Attestation Form at the bottom of the page
International Students Without an SSN
The CRLA Level 1 Tutor Training and Certification Canvas course contains the Northeastern Peer Tutoring on Knack sponsorship information necessary to complete your SSN application and OGS on-campus employment forms. You will not be able to apply for an SSN without this sponsorship information, so make sure you follow the “After Applying” steps outlined above.
For information about applying for an SSN, see OGS F-1 On-Campus Employment Page and scroll down to “Application Process”
Maintaining Visa Status and On-Campus Employment Guidelines
As an F-1 or J-1 student, it is important that a tutor maintains their status by abiding by the guidelines for on-campus employment. These guidelines include but are not limited to:
- Tutoring both in-person AND online appointments;
- Working 20-hours per week or less during required academic terms;
- Only working when you are an actively enrolled student; Knack tutors in their final academic term of study may only work until the last day of the final exam period for their college based on the academic calendar
- Reporting to an on-campus physical location to complete their work. This location will be determined in coordination with the Director of the Northeaster Peer Tutoring Services.